Monday, March 10, 2014

Just a little ruffled

Hello All,

   This has been a very innovative blog hop.  A lot of new ideas, and it is enjoyable and peaceful  having  a smaller amount of ladies  to visit in one day, we can take our time and browse their blogs  actually getting to know them a little better.  And yet look forward to more people to meet and creative surprises to see the next day.    I'd like to thank Madame Sam for her great ideas, along with Amy and the other cheerleaders for their willing to help boost our moral.  

  For my ruffle challenge I tried to think of something different and easy enough for me to do at the same time.  I purchased my ruffle foot thinking that would speed things up for me. WRONG!  I spent two days try to set the thing to the right spacing, never did get it right.  So I ruffled by hand.  So here we go.

  I picked up an old lamp, yard sales or thrift stores are a great place to look.  Picking a lite shade because of the fabric being lite.Then I cut my fabric into 3" stripes, and about twice the circumference of the shade for the length.  The last strip being 1-1/2" wide.

  I then seamed the thinner black strip to the lightest pink strip, folded over in half and pressed and stitched in the ditch from front.  This being the top ruffle and making it a finished piece.

 Then hemming the rest of the strips at little more than a 1/4 inch because I did not finish the hem on these.  Knowing it would not be washed and  there wouldn't be too much raveling.

After hand gathering, making sure it would reach around  to meet I knotted both ends so they would not slip.
I attached the bottom row with hot glue first, using the bottom of the shade as a guide going 1/8" past it. Then the top row with the seam of the two fabrics on the edge of shade giving me about 1/2" over the top.  I then spaced the remaining 3 rows equally in between the remaining space

After the assembling of the fabric rows I turned the shade upside down and lightly sprayed with  Mary Ellen's
Best Press and let dry.  I then turned it right-side up and sprayed with scotch guard, making it easier to dust later.

Contrary to the final picture the lamp will not be used outside.  :o)  It is going to be an evening light in
the up stairs bathroom at the shop, which I am now in the process of revamping.  I hope to have it done and posted in two weeks.

Hope you enjoyed yourself, and maybe I even surprised a few you with my selection.  Please leave a note and let me know what you think.  And don't forget to visit my fellow bloggers and fined all kinds of beautiful things.